January 27, 2017
Foundation for PM&R – Quarterly update
This is the winter 2017 issue of a quarterly news brief developed to raise awareness of the Foundation’s activities and stimulate opportunities for collaboration. We welcome your feedback and suggestions.
- May 1 is the application deadline for the Aspen Spinal Bracing, Richard Materson ERF New Investigator, Gabriella Molnar Pediatric PM&R and Scott Nadler Musculoskeletal Research Grants, offering a total of $80,000. Details and application forms can be found on our website (foundationforpmr.org/research-grants/).
- The following research grant awards will be presented at the AAP meeting in Las Vegas next month:
- Justus Lehmann Research Grant – Jonathan Akins, Widener University, “Biomechanics of Turn-specific Functional Outcome Measures in Lower-limb Prosthesis Users”
- Midcareer Investigator Research Grant – Ellen Casey, University of Pennsylvania, “An In Vivo Longitudinal Evaluation of the Impact of Oral Contraceptives on Connective Tissue and Neuromuscular Control”
- Milbank SCI Rehabilitation Research Grant – Michelle Trbovich, South Texas Veterans Health Care System, “Capsaicin 8% Patch for Spinal Cord Injury Focal Neuropathic Pain”
- Milbank TBI Rehabilitation Research Grant – Shirley Shih, Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, “Brain-derived Neurotrophic Factor and Age-related Functional Recovery after TBI”
- The Research Priorities Task Force is finalizing interviews with physiatric research program directors from across the country to determine their needs, how the Foundation’s funding fits into their programs, and new ways in which the Foundation could support physiatric research. If your leaders and/or research council would like to comment, please contact Phyllis Anderson, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-737-6062.
Call for Nominations
- Nominations are being sought for the 2017 Gabriella Molnar Pediatric PM&R Lifetime Achievement Award. Please send a letter of nomination to Phyllis Anderson, Executive Director, at email@example.com.
- At least one Director-at-Large seat will be available on the Foundation Board of Directors in the fall; please send an e-mail with your organization’s nomination to Phyllis Anderson, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Americans with Disabilities Fund: Rx for Exercise
The Rx for Exercise program now has three free resources available to help physiatrists prescribe physical activity to their patients with disabilities:
For more information, please contact Jennifer Vince, Americans with Disabilities Fund Manager, at email@example.com or 312-593-4470.
- The Foundation will host a Rehab 5k Run/Walk & Roll event in conjunction with the AAP Meeting. It will take place at 6:30 AM on Friday, February 10 at Sunset Park in Las Vegas. Registration is available with AAP Meeting registration, or onsite in the Foundation booth and immediately preceding the event in Sunset Park.
- Our Spring Fund Drive will launch in mid-February. All Board members of our sister societies are asked to make a donation (foundationforpmr.org/donate-now/) to show their commitment to physiatric research, so we can tell our donors we have 100% support from the leaders in the field. If your society or institution would be willing to send an e-mail to their members/employees in support of the Foundation, please contact Phyllis Anderson, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-737-6062.
- The Foundation can now accept donations via smart phone; text “PMRresearch” to 50155.